What are Virginia Workforce Centers?
Using Virginia Workforce Centers or One-Stops, Virginia’s workforce can find the resources it needs to search for jobs and improve its professional skills. With about 65 centers located across Virginia, one is close by and ready to assist you with career services.
Virginia Workforce Centers offer two levels of service, depending upon a person’s needs and qualifications for services. Basic Career Services are available to all customers, while Individualized Career Services are available to individuals who meet eligibility requirements for participation in a WIOA Program. The chart below identifies various service levels and some of their core components:
- Orientation to Virginia workforce system services
- Initial needs assessment, evaluation of work history and educational attainment
- Registration in the Virginia Workforce Connection
- Job search and job placement assistance
- Resume writing and interview skills
- Labor market information
- Information on available supportive services
- Assistance through trained and available staff, either onsite at a one-stop career center or by telephone or other technology, in filing unemployment compensation claims
- Staff-supported assistance in resource rooms
- Referrals to partner programs and services available through the one-stop system
- Comprehensive and specialized assessments of skill levels and service needs
- Development of an individual employment plan and information on available training and training providers
- Assistance in establishing eligibility for financial aid for employment and training programs
- Group and individual counselling
- Career planning
- Short-term pre-vocational services including development of learning skills, communication skills, interviewing skills, punctuality, personal maintenance skills, and professional conduct services to prepare individuals for unsubsidized employment or training
- Internships and work experiences linked to careers
- Financial literacy services
- Needs-based supportive services
- Out-of-area job search assistance and relocation assistance
- English language acquisition and integrated education and training programs
- Post-employment follow up services
Who can use a Virginia Workforce Center? Anyone looking to improve their career options is eligible to receive Basic Career Services. Participation in Individualized Career Services and more may require that individuals meet eligibility criteria. Contact your local Virginia Career Works Center to learn more. Find Your One-Stop Career Center.
DIDN’T FIND YOUR ANSWER?
Browse our other job seeker resources or contact us and we will be happy to help you find the answers to your questions!